What Is Phosphor Bronze
Phosphor bronze is an alloy of mainly copper, tin and phosphorus that is widely known for its strength, durability, fine grain and low coefficient of friction. It is usually manufactured it in the form of wires, tubes, bars, plates and sheets. It comes in a wide range of grades and has a moderate price .
Properties and Characteristics of Phosphor Bronze
The alloy has great fluidity and castability in the molten state owing to the presence of phosphorus. Tin increases its corrosion resistance and strength .
|Color/appearance||Reddish (in most cases) |
|State at room temperature||Solid |
|Melting point/freezing point||880-1025°C |
|Density||8800 kg m3 |
|Thermal Conductivity||50 W/(m K) |
|Electrical Conductivity (relative to copper)||15% |
|Heat capacity||0.38 J/g °C |
|Resistivity||13 micro-ohm-cm |
|Hardness (Rockwell B)||85 |
|Tensile strength (ultimate)||550 MPa |
|Yield strength||450 MPa |
|Young’s modulus||110 GPa |
|Modulus of elasticity||110 GPa |
|Friction coefficient (with steel)||0.35 |
|Coefficient for thermal expansion||17.8X10-6/0C |
- Typically for making springs, sleeve bushings, bearings, welding rods, nuts, bolts, etc [7, 8].
- To make the suspension coil of moving coil galvanometers because it doesn’t oxidize easily, is non-magnetic and has low torsional constant .
- Making jewelry, knife and lock washers, guitar strings, harmonica reeds, dental bridges 
Is It Dangerous
The fumes or dust of the alloy is toxic to humans. Hence, contact with skin, clothing and eyes should be avoided. In solid form, the material is not hazardous .
- When exposed to air, a beautiful patina forms on its surface that makes it suitable for artistic applications .
- Phosphor Bronze Alloy Material Safety Data Sheet – Fiskalloy.com
- Phosphor Bronze Physical & Chemical Properties – Meadmetals.com
- Phosphor Bronze 510 – Elginfasteners.com
- Ness Engineering Technical Data Metal/Alloy Resistivity – Nessengr.com
- Co-efficient of Thermal Expansion Data – Repairengineering.com
- Friction and Friction Coefficients – Engineeringtoolbox.com
- Phosphor Bronze Powder – Americanelements.com
- Alloy: C51000 Phosphor Bronze 5% A Spec Sheet – Concast.com
- Electrical Conductivity of Materials – Bluesea.com
- Henley’s Twentieth Century Formulas Recipes Processes Vol1 – Chestofbooks.com