Calcium nitrite represented by the chemical formula Ca(NO2)2 or CaN2O4 that bears the IUPAC name calcium dinitride  is an odorless white or light yellowish deliquescent powder that is very soluble in water and slightly in alcohol [4, 5]. It is a calcium salt and an ionic compound . It should be protected from heat as temperatures higher than 220°C would lead to its reduction and decomposition into nitrous oxide .
Calcium Nitrite Identification
|CAS Number||13780-06-8 |
|PubChem CID||159695 |
|ChemSpider ID||140414 |
|EC Number||237-424-2 |
How to Make It
Calcium nitrite can be prepared in solution by reacting silver nitrite with calcium chloride .
2AgNO2 + CaCl2 = 2AgCl + Ca(NO2)2
Properties and Characteristics of Calcium Nitrite
|Molar mass/molecular weight||132.088 g/mol |
|Color/appearance||White to yellow crystals |
|Melting point/freezing point||390°C, 734°F |
|Boiling point||Unknown |
|Density||2.265 g cm-3 |
|State of matter at room temperature (normal phase)||Solid |
|Solubility in water||43 g/100g (at 18.5oC) |
|pH||9.0 – 11.0 (basic) |
|Crystal structure||Hexagonal |
Calcium nitrite reacts with oxygen to form calcium nitrate .
Ca(NO2)2 + O2 = Ca(NO3)2
Calcium Nitrite Uses
- As a corrosion inhibitor in concrete, lubricants .
- Its high solubility facilitates its application as antifreeze either in powder or solution form. .
- To prepare calcium nitrate, an important component of many fertilizers .
- To safeguard metals from salt corrosion .
Is It Dangerous
The compound is poisonous and should not be combined with inflammable, organic articles. Under fire conditions, it emits hazardous toxic fumes. Ingestion, inhalation, eye and skin contact with it should be avoided [3, 6].
Calcium Nitrite Price
94% Ca(NO2)2 costs around $500-750 per metric ton. The price may vary with suppliers .
- Calcium Nitrite – Pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- MFCD00049399 – Chemspider.com
- Calcium Nitrite (13780-06-8) – Chemicalbook.com
- Calcium Nitrite – Chemicalbook.com
- Calcium Nitrite – Wikiwand.com
- Calcium Nitrite Solution – Kemele.com
- Calcium Nitrite Fertilizer Uses – Homeguides.sfgate.com
- Calcium Nitrite, Ca(NO2)2 – Calcium.atomistry.com
- Calcium Nitrite – Sciencedirect.com
- Calcium Nitrite Price – Alibaba.com