Barium nitrite represented by the chemical formula Ba(NO2)2 or BaN2O4  that bears the IUPAC name barium dinitride  is a white crystalline powder that is soluble in water and alcohol . It is a barium salt and an ionic compound .
Barium Nitrite Identification
|CAS Number||13465-94-6 |
|PubChem CID||166820 |
|ChemSpider ID||145952 |
|EC Number||236-709-9 |
How to Make It
Barium nitrite can be prepared by decomposing silver nitrite by barium chloride .
2AgNO2 + BaCl2 = 2AgCl + Ba(NO2)2
It can also be made by pouring a warm solution of barium nitrate over lead and boiling the mixture for 1.5 to 2 hours .
Ba(NO3)2 + 2Pb = Ba(NO2)2 + 2PbO
Properties and Characteristics of Barium Nitrite
|Molar mass/molecular weight||229.337 g/mol |
|Color/appearance||White crystals |
|Melting point/freezing point||115°C, 239°F |
|Boiling point||N/A |
|Density||3.173 g cm-3 |
|State of matter at room temperature (normal phase)||Solid |
|Solubility in water||630 g/l (at 20oC) |
|pH||>7 (basic) |
|Crystal structure||Hexagonal |
Barium Nitrite Uses
- In research work in laboratories, in diazotization [1, 6].
- As a corrosion inhibitor .
- In making explosives .
Is It Dangerous
The compound can be highly toxic if swallowed or inhaled .
- Barium Nitrite – Americanelements.com
- Barium Nitrite – Pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Barium Nitrite – Chemspider.com
- Barium Nitrite, Ba(NO2)2 – Barium.atomistry.com
- Basic anions none think about why 1 anions of weak – Coursehero.com
- Barium Nitrite – Chemicalbook.com
- Preparation of barium nitrite – Prepchem.com