Calcium bicarbonate represented by the chemical formula Ca(HCO3)2 or C2H2CaO6 that bears the IUPAC name calcium hydrogen carbonate  is a white crystalline powder that is soluble in water . It is an ionic compound of calcium, hydrogen, carbon and oxygen [1, 6]. Though it is not a naturally occurring solid, it forms in the water of rivers, lakes and streams when carbonate, bicarbonate and calcium ions are dissolved with carbon dioxide .
Calcium Bicarbonate Identification
|CAS Number||3983-19-5 |
|PubChem CID||10176262 |
|ChemSpider ID||8351767 |
Composition and Synthesis
Calcium bicarbonate can be prepared by a reaction between calcium carbonate and carbonic acid .
CaCO3 + H2CO3 = Ca(HCO3)2
Properties and Characteristics of Calcium Bicarbonate
|Molar mass/molecular weight||162.11 g/mol |
|Color/appearance||White powder |
|Melting point/freezing point||1339°C, 2442°F |
|Boiling point||N/A |
|Density||2.711 g cm-3 |
|State of matter at room temperature (normal phase)||Solid |
|Solubility in water||16.6 g/100 ml (at 20oC) |
|pH||>7 (basic) |
|Crystal structure||Trigonal |
On heating, calcium bicarbonate decomposes to calcium carbonate, carbon dioxide and water .
Ca(HCO3)2 = CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O
It reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce calcium chloride, carbon dioxide and water .
Ca(HCO3)2 + 2HCl = CaCl2 + 2CO2 + 2H2O
It reacts with sulfuric acid to produce calcium sulfate, carbon dioxide and water .
Ca(HCO3)2 + H2SO4 = CaSO4 + 2CO2 + 2H2O
Calcium bicarbonate reacts with nitric acid to give calcium nitrate, carbon dioxide and water .
Ca(HCO3)2 + 2HNO3 = Ca(NO3)2 + 2CO2 + 2H2O
Calcium Bicarbonate Uses
- As a food additive .
- As an anti-caking agent .
- As a color stabilizer .
Is It Dangerous
The compound is not harmful if ingested. However, it may cause irritation to skin, eyes and the respiratory tract on inhalation [3, 5].
- Calcium bicarbonate causes temporary hardness of water .
- Calcium bicarbonate solution in water has health benefits due to the alkalizing effect and mineral content .
Calcium Bicarbonate (Ca(HCO3)2) Price
The compound costs around $200-$245 per ton. The price may vary with suppliers .
- Calcium Bicarbonate – Pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Calcium Bicarbonate – Chemspider.com
- Calcium Bicarbonate – Wikivisually.com
- Calcium Bicarbonate – Sciencedirect.com
- What Is Calcium Bicarbonate? – Livestrong.com
- Why calcium bicarbonate is soluble in water while calcium calcium carbonate is insoluble? – Linkedin.com
- How do you make calcium bicarbonate at home? – Quora.com
- What is the balanced chemical equation for the decomposition of calcium hydrogen carbonate? – Quora.com
- How Do I Balance calcium bicarbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid ? – Socratic.org
- How does calcium carbonate react with sulphuric acid? – Quora.com
- Calcium Bicarbonate Price – Alibaba.com
- How does nitric acid react with calcium carbonate? – Quora.com
- Calcium bicarbonate causes hardness in water but not calcium carbonate. Why – Brainly.in