Home / Inorganic Chemistry / Stannous Fluoride
Table Of Contents
Stannous fluoride also known as tin (II) fluoride is represented by the chemical formula SnF2 or F2Sn  and bears the IUPAC name difluorotin . It is a white crystalline solid that is soluble in potassium fluoride and potassium hydroxide. The inorganic compound is insoluble in ether, ethanol and chloroform . It is a fluoride salt and an ionic compound .
Stannous Fluoride Identification
|CAS Number||7783-47-3 |
|PubChem CID||24550 |
|ChemSpider ID||22956 |
|EC Number||231-999-3 |
How to Make It
Stannous fluoride can be prepared by dissolving stannous oxide in aqueous hydrogen fluoride .
SnO + 2HF = SnF2 + H2O
Properties and Characteristics of Stannous Fluoride
|Molar mass/molecular weight||156.707 g/mol |
|Color/appearance||White crystals |
|Melting point/freezing point||213°C, 415.4°F |
|Boiling point||850°C, 1562°F |
|Density||4.57 g cm-3 |
|State of matter at room temperature (normal phase)||Solid |
|Solubility in water||Insoluble |
|pH||< 7 (acidic) |
|Crystal structure||Monoclinic |
Tin (II) Fluoride Uses
- In different brands of toothpaste for improving dental health . It prevents tooth decay, gingivitis, tooth sensitivity and reinforces weakened tooth enamel. It can be used for xerostomic (dry mouth) patients [9, 10].
Is it Dangerous
SnF2 can cause acute toxicity if swallowed. Contact with eyes and skin should be avoided as it causes severe eye damage and skin irritation .
Stannous Fluoride (SnF2) Price
The compound costs around $22 to $40 for every pound .
- Stannous Fluoride – Pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Tin (II) Fluoride – Chemspider.com
- Tin (II) Fluoride – Americanelements.com
- Tin (II) Fluoride – Chemicalbook.com
- Stannous Fluoride – Sciencedirect.com
- Is the fluoride in toothpaste basic or acidic? – Quora.com
- Crystallographic studies of tin(II) compounds. I. Crystal structure of tin(II) fluoride, SnF2 – Pubs.acs.org
- Is stannous fluoride a covalent or ionic bond? – Answers.com
- Questions About Stannous Fluoride – Oralb.com
- Dentinal Hypersensitivity: A Review Stannous Fluoride – Dentalcare.com
Leave a Reply