Magnesium fluoride represented by the chemical formula MgF2 or F2Mg that bears the IUPAC name magnesium difluoride is a stable compound that is not hygroscopic as such and slightly soluble in dilute acids (like nitric acid) but insoluble in alcohol. It is an ionic compound of magnesium and fluorine and non-polar in gaseous phase [1, 8]. In UV light it fluoresces purple .
Magnesium Fluoride Identification
|CAS Number||7783-40-6 |
|PubChem CID||24546 |
|ChemSpider ID||22952 |
|EC Number||231-995-1 |
How to Make It
Magnesium fluoride is synthesized by a reaction between magnesium oxide and ammonium bifluoride .
MgO + (NH4)HF2 = MgF2 + NH3 + H2O
Properties and Characteristics of Magnesium Fluoride
|Molar mass/molecular weight||62.302 g/mol |
|Color/appearance||White crystals |
|Melting point/freezing point||1260°C, 2300°F |
|Boiling point||2260°C, 4100°F |
|Density||3.2 g cm-3 |
|State of matter at room temperature (normal phase)||Solid |
|Refractive index||1.4 |
|Thermal conductivity||28 W/m-K |
|Hardness (Mohs scale)||6 |
|Specific heat capacity||0.92 X 103 J/(kg.deg C) |
|Solubility in water||No |
|Crystal structure||Tetragonal |
Magnesium Fluoride Uses
- In anti-reflective, multi-layer optical coatings on glass .
- As a durable material for lenses that can be used in UV and IR light eliminating birefringence .
- MgF2 windows are widely used in the deep and vacuum UV regions. They are durable and produce minimal aberrations .
Is It Dangerous
The compound can be acutely toxic if swallowed. It is a cause of serious eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation. So inhalation should be avoided .
Magnesium Fluoride (MgF2) Price
10 g of the inorganic compound powder costs around $15 .
- Magnesium Fluoride (MgF2) – Pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Sellaite – Chemspider.com
- Magnesium Fluoride – Americanelements.com
- MAGNESIUM FLUORIDE MGF2 OVERVIEW – Materion.com
- Magnesium Fluoride Plano-Convex Lenses, Uncoated – Thorlabs.com
- Magnesium fluoride, powder – Oakwoodchemical.com
- Magnesium Fluoride – Chemicalbook.com
- Magnesium Fluoride – Cameo.mfa.org
- Magnesium Fluoride Windows – Thorlabs.com
- Magnesium Fluoride (MgF2) – Janis.com
- Magnesium Fluoride – Espimetals.com
- Material MgF2 – Materialsproject.org