What is Technetium
A radioactive metal, technetium (pronounced as tek-NEE-she-em) is the first synthetically produced element. Denoted by the chemical symbol Tc, it belongs to the family of transition metals .
Origin of its Name: The name of the element is derived from the Greek word ‘tekhnetos’ which means artificial .
Who Discovered it: Carlo Perrier and Emilio Segre 
When and Where was it Discovered
In the 1920’s, there were claims about its discovery through spectrum analysis. However, nothing was officially confirmed.
In 1937, when Segre in Italy analyzed a molybdenum sample from California that had been subjected to powerful radiation, he isolated a new element that was later named ‘technetium’ from it .
|Atomic number||43 |
|CAS number||7440-26-8 |
|Position in the periodic table ||Group||Period||Block|
Properties and Characteristics of Technetium
|Relative atomic mass|| |
|Atomic mass||98 atomic mass units |
|Melting point/freezing point||2157°C (3915°F) |
|Boiling point||4262°C, 7704°F |
|Density||11 g/cm3 |
|State at standard room temperature (solid/liquid/gas)||Solid |
|Oxidation state/Oxidation number||−3, −1, +1, +2, +3, +4 +5, +6, +7 |
Atomic Data of Technetium (Element 43)
|Electron configuration (noble gas configuration)||[Kr] 4d55s2 |
|Atomic structure |
|– Number of Electrons||43|
|– Number of Neutrons||55|
|– Number of Protons||43|
|Radius of atom|
|– Atomic Radius||2.16 Å |
|– Covalent Radius||1.38 Å |
|Ionization energy 
What are the Uses of Technetium
- It is added to steel in minor amounts to inhibit corrosion and provide protection from long-term damage .
- Technetium-99m, a short-lived isotope of technetium-99 (a byproduct of nuclear weapon explosions) is used as a diagnostic imaging tool for carrying out a sestamibi scan of different parts of the body . Intravenous administration of a gamma-emitting colloid called technetium Tc-99m Sulfur Colloid is done to scan the gastrointestinal system, including liver and spleen . When combined with tetrofosmin, technetium Tc-99m is useful in cardiac imaging after a stress test.
- In hospital and radiopharmacies, technetium tc-99 generators are used to extract medical isotopes [7, 8].
- Technetium pertechnetate is more effective than radioactive iodine in detecting thyroid abnormalities .
- The symbol of the element is depicted by human hand to show that it’s artificially produced .
Although a radioactive and man-made element, it is commercially available, costing anywhere between $60 and $70 per gram.